The Azores have a multiplicity of natural, historical and cultural resources that make it unique.
For more than two decades, initiatives have been privileged that lead to their protection and preservation, which has led to the continued development of sustainability policies:
- Conservation of nature and protection of biodiversity
- Energy production and management
- Management and supervision of noise, air quality, waste and water
- Environmental promotion and education actions
- Appreciation of indigenous products, heritage and Azorean culture
Almost 25% of the archipelago's territory is classified as a protected area, managed by the natural parks on each island.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS (KPA)
Protection + Management
Sustainability Management Structure for the Azores Destination
Created in 2018, it is the entity responsible for managing the sustainability of the destination in the dependence of the Regional government organ with competence in tourism.
The commitment is to ensure that the development of the destination is supported in the sustainable development goals in the context of Agenda 2030 and is applicable to all initiatives and actions of tourism in the Azores, as well as the DMO and its collaborators.
The initiatives of the Azores DMO will be coordinated with the population, with members of the private sector and the public sector, both municipal and various departments of the Regional government, as well as associations and NGO´s.
Plan, organize, implement and supervise the certification process of the sustainable tourist destination, following the standard of EarthCheck, a certification body accredited by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council, based on the guiding principles of UNWTO and Sustainable development goals.
To consult, involve and educate local communities, partners and economic agents of the tourism value chain in decision-making related to the management of the sustainable development of the Azores destination.
Set of 11 sustainable commitments and 51 actions, duly articulated with the various regional secretariats of the Government of the Azores.
Identification of the current and potential level of risk of situations, planned, accidental or emergency, natural or anthropic, related to the scope of operation of the Azores destination.
Follow up + Development + Promotion
GLOBAL SUSTAINABLE TOURISM COUNCIL
International body that defines the parameters of sustainable tourism development.
GSTC accredited certification body to certify tourist destinations.
CCSDTA - Advisory Committee for the Sustainability of the Azores tourist destination
Entity with the objective of accompanying, issuing opinions and making recommendations on the certification process of the Azores, monitoring the activity of DMO and implementation of PEMTA.
GASDTA - Monitoring Group for the sustainability of the Azores tourist destination
Constituted by public entities, in order to operationalize the implementation of measures and actions aimed at fulfilling the requirements and goals of certification.
FASDTA - Forums for monitoring the sustainability of the Azores tourist destination
Consisting of entities representing local interests, in the figure of the Green Teams (in each of the nine islands) and meetings for the community, partners and economic agents.
Start the process
Take on a mission
- Establish team
- Engaging stakeholders
- Develop, adopt and promote an environmental and Social sustainability policy
- Access to real-time information
- Identifying critical points
- Prioritization of initiatives
- Performance report
Reach the bronze
- Achievement of the first level-Bronze certification
- Celebration with stakeholders
- Sharing results
Manage and communicate the process
- Risk Identification and management
- Process Reinforcement
- Development of action plan with objectives
- Creating appealing initiatives
- Development of Communication Plan
- Involvement of external stakeholders
- Transparency Demonstration
- Independent, experienced and credible assessment to verify established commitments.
- Conclusion of the results achieved
1-4 years old | Silver Certification
5-9 years old | Gold Certification
10-14 years old | Platinum Certification
+ 15 years | Master Certification
Update the process
- Renewal every 12 months